Tuesday 15 September 2009

June 2009 attempt (from Sherpa Van site post)

Day0 - 8pm start. Arrived off the bus 6.20 (too early - you can only mill about RHB for so long...)
The forecast is for cool and overcast with windy conditions developing towards end of week - sounds good. With time to kill managed to find a pebble this time... how do I know it's not from St Bees?
Found a better route out of RHB - half way up King St. some steps lead down to the sea wall from here a path brings you up to the roundabout (less steep I thought?) The path at Bay Ness climbs up to quickly connect with the former railway trackbed. This is still an 'ethical' line I feel, as it still allows for a clifftop start and the trackbed helps if there is a need to get across the boggy bits before dark. Wet feet from the top of the overgrown intake road, but the moor crossing is much more civilised in the light. (In retrospect this is the only advantage I can see in a June attempt to this schedule) After the road the second shorter bit of moor is much wetter and I'm wishing I'd packed those Seal Skinz now as I've started on a slightly wrong line - but again because it's June and still light I can see where many other Coasters have come the other way as I head more to my left. Coming off the moor a little breeze is welcome and I do think about dropping the landing gear, but it's still light and I'm not yet aware of just how bad the midge population is yet down at the car park! When I arrive there I realise I'd probaly be eaten alive and reluctantly trudge back up to the open moor (now with daylight gone) to try and find a level spot. I should have gone with my 1st instinct! Even up here the breeze seems to have dropped and the little blighters are forming a cloud. My insect repellant wipes prove useless and are more effective when I set light to them!
The site is not as flat as first judged and it turns out to be the worst ever night in the bag... and that's before it starts to rain...

Day1 - May have got some sleep but delayed getting up from 3.30am for an hour. Feel like a damp corpse in a body bag! Down sleeping bag is wet. Off for 5.18am. Pre-bagged muesli goes down a treat with cup of tea! Manage to dress avoiding midges by darting from place to place...
Steady to Grosmont. Pleasantly surprised to find Midge Hall (hmm, how'd it get it's name I wonder...) refurbished and lived in! Arrived Grosmont at 7.20 to find Co-op not open till 9am on Sunday (this is after sitting on bench opposite till after 8pm!) Planned food stop. So waited using the opportunity to further dry the sleeping bag on fence. This turns out to be a disaster looking back - and no better than last attempt, as though I haven't learned anything... at this hour should only be quick wash and water stop. So arrive up on schedule but leave an hour down!
Coffee stop at rd. turn off after Glaisdale Rigg. Discover I've added orange tab. to only water carried! Still it's sunny and there's a bit of breeze that helps to further dry out bag. Arrive Lion Inn knackered and slightly dehydrated with heat - feel ill here and can't eat food ordered - on return from toilet find it's been cleared away...
Trackbed is a bind in the heat of the afternoon - an umbrella would have been great as there is little breeze. The high point is being buzzed by an angry curlew! For the first time I think a companion would be good to help pass the miles. Rant at resting walkers on how pointless it all is... they laugh...
On descending to the road at Clay Bank Top a misplaced footing jars back badly on drainage stone channel built across path. Arrive Lord Stones okay though but with v. sore feet - mentally I've had it with heat and previous nights lack of sleep! Realise 5 days is off - too easy with mobile phone to book taxi...
If, on marking, my last effort would be: 'Could do better.' This effort would have to be marked: 'See Me!' in red ink...

No comments:

Post a Comment